10 January 2007

Ripe with Potential

I find it interesting how things seem to drop into our lives for no apparent reason. And if we are not very careful, we can often miss an opportunity because we assume we already know where it will lead.

I meet MY HUSBAND for lunch almost daily and he always walks me back to my car. This past Tuesday after he walked me back to my car and we kissed goodbye, I turned to open the door and on the ground was this lemon. At first glance it looked fake, so perfectly yellow and rounded. I almost got in my car without giving it a second thought. Almost.

Thankfully my curiosity got the better of me and I knelt down and picked it up and before I pulled it to my nose, I could already smell the sweet, fresh fragrance of potential. It was heavy in my hand, full of juicy possibilities. I called to MY HUSBAND who was walking away to show it to him. He held it and looked up into the trees, as did I. Surely this dropped from somewhere in the sky. Yet there was no lemon tree to be found.

Instead of tossing it away, I kept it. I started surfing online last night to find a good recipe that needs one lemon. I will keep you posted on what I decide to make. This lemon has become something of a symbol to me. A talisman for what may come. Sometimes, you don't have to go out on a limb to get a choice piece of fruit. Once in a while it just falls at your feet. And all you have to do is pick it up.

~Santé

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/tech/recipes/cake/lemoncake/Chap0.html

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, someone has to be the first to say it - -"If life hands you lemons...."

I think that this fits well with your other blog. If you are not 'Being' than you perhaps will not notice the lemon in your path in the first place.

I await the recipe! Isn't there a great lemon pound cake recipe in the book "Under the Tuscan Sun"?
Sante

Anonymous said...

Love it! Saluto!

Anonymous said...

I sort of had the same thing happen to me today. I put my money in the coke machine and made my selection before realizing another soda was in dispense limbo. Cool! I got two for one! I kind of felt like I was stealing it though. Or some hidden camera was on to see what people do in these circumstances. What should I have done? Give it to a clerk? Offer it to the teenager smoking outside? Would it have started a conversation that led to the gospel? Did I miss an opportunity? Maybe I'll keep it just to remind myself to keep my eyes open.

Anonymous said...

The beauty of a lemon is that a little goes a long way. The lemon reminds me of the root word for your and MS's name--myrrh, an herb bitter to the taste but sweet to the smell. It also is a preservative and has healing properties. Lemons also help preserve foods when applied--think guacomole, fruit salad, etc. I think lemons are best when mixed with other things. They bring out the flavor of other ingredients. And so, as your name implies, do you Mary. You mix with others touching so many lives refreshing us with yourself. God bless you. -KJ